Sunday, December 6, 2009

Writing for voice

For our last project, I wanted to make a vocal that wouldn't be too hard because I knew there would be limited rehearsal time. I think it is really helpful to sing it as you write it. I didn't exactly know what the range of my singer would be but I had a general idea and then assumed that if I could squeak out a note that my singer could probably sing it properly, and so I stayed within those boundaries.
Also, to make it easier to put together last minute, I made sure that if the singer had rests, that before the next entrance one of the string instruments played her entance note. this way we didn't have to worry much about how she was going to find her note!
This (combined with Erin Milly being an excellent singer and sight reader!) made it really easy to get the piece ready quickly.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment